your second concern that the query criteria is not identifying a result set
> with any sense of cohesion might be true. Basically  the search I am
> executing is a filter. Either the document metadata either has the value or
> not. Hence the result set may not be "cohesive". The reason for me to use
> the Significant terms is so that the query can be enhanced to provide a
> more cohesive set of documents.

We can probably debug that from the results of the agg. For each
"significant" term you should get a score and all the ingredients that went
into it are also available:
1) The number of docs in the result set with the given term
2) The size of your result set
3) The number of docs in the index with the given term (see the "bg_count"
value)
4) The size of the index

In a "cohesive" set you should see a reasonable difference in the term
probabilities e.g. the numbers 1/2  vs 3/4
If all you've selected in your query is effectively random docs with no
common theme then the use of words in background and foreground barely
differ and 1/2 vs 3/4 are practically the same giving a poor-scoring set of
results.