In testing and replicating the issue, this slow down has been seen
occurring with empty indices.

The running cluster is at present ~100 GB across 2,200 Indices with a total
of 13,500 shards and ~430,000,000 documents.

We have 7GB RAM and 5GB heap on the data nodes - haven't looked overly
carefully but don't think the heap is maxing out on any of the nodes when
this occurs.

Thanks,

Paul.