On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Marcelo Paes Rech <marcelopaesr...@gmail.com
> wrote:

Hi guys,

> I'm looking for an article or a guide for the best cluster configuration.
> I read a lot of articles like "change this configuration" and "you must
> create X shards per node" but I didn't saw nothing like ElasticSearch
> Official guide for creating a cluster.
>
> What I would like to know are informations like.
> - How to calculate how many shards will be good for the cluster.
> - How many shards do we need per node? And if this is variable, how do I
> calculate this?
> - How much memory do I need per node and how many nodes?
>
> I think ElasticSearch is well documentated. But it is very fragmented.

For some of these that is because "it depends" is the answer.  For example,
you'll want larger heaps for aggregations and faceting.

There are some rules of thumb:
1.  Set Elasticsearch's heap memory to 1/2 of ram but not more then 30GB.
Bigger then that and the JVM can't do pointer compression and you
effectively lose ram.
2.  #1 implies that having much more then 60GB of ram on each node doesn't
make a big difference.  It helps but its not really as good as having more
nodes.
3.  The most efficient efficient way of sharding is likely one shard on
each node.  So if you have 9 nodes and a replication factor of 2 (so 3
total copies) then 3 shards is likely to be more efficient then having 2 or
4.  But this only really matters when those shards get lots of traffic.
And it breaks down a bit when you get lots of nodes.  And the in presence
of routing.  Its complicated.

But these are really just starting points, safe-ish defaults.

Nik