On 04 juin 2014, at 05:38, 'Adolfo Rodriguez' via elasticsearch wrote:

> here is some sample code on how to exploit the system for version <1.2.0,
> port 9200 exposed to internet and flag setting script.disable_dynamic=false
> as is by default
>
> http://bouk.co/blog/elasticsearch-rce/#how_to_secure_against_this_vulnerability

I've had a great deal of fun reading this. And I'm really concerned that in
2014 people are still developing products like ES with absolutely no security
features.
This blogger should have added a word of warning about running ES as
root/admin, I'm pretty sure most developers are running ES with their admin
account, or even with root. Use a dedicated user account for the ES process,
with very limited permissions and powers. Always think about privilege
separation before you install a new software.
ES should really be quarantined. On FreeBSD, one can use a jail (very easy
nowadays with ZFS and ezjail). I'm pretty sure similar things exist for Linux.
If you have the guts, go with SELinux. Requires some work, but it's rewarding
and it has some pretty dam' cool things inside.

Patrick