The cluster state will be yellow while shards are being rebalanced, so you
can just execute a cluster healt request and wait for green status:

http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/cluster-health.html#request-params

You can also poll the same API and wait until all the moving shards
(relocating_shards, initializing_shards, unassigned_shards) are 0.

Cheers,

Ivan