Thanks Costin,
I am aiming at modifying  the existing hadoop cluster and hive installation
and also modularizing   some common es.* properies in a separate common
place.  I know the first goal can be achieved with hive cli  --auxpath
option  and hive table's TBLPROPERTERTIES. For the secon goal, I am able to
move  some es.* settings from TBLPROPERTIES declaration to hive's set
statments. For example, I can put

   set es.nodes=my.domain.com

in the same hql file  then skip es.nodes setting in TBLPROPERTIES in the
external table delcarations in the SAME hql. But I wish  I can move the set
statetemnt in a separate file. I now realize this is rather a  hive
question.
Regards,
Jack

-- Jinyuan (Jack) Zhou