>  Out of curiosity, what kind of performance do you get when you only run
> the search on '.raw' fields and not regular fields (with edgengram).
> Obviously the result of the query will not be the same as before as the
> whole world should match if the edgengram are out of the picture.
> I had some pretty weird result in the past where under specific
> circonstances I had better performance results with prefix queries than
> edgengram with a huge volume of data.

Thanks for that tip, we'll try that out!

This reminds me a project I worked on indexing data from geonames. One
> thing we did with altername names and support for multiple languages was to
> remove the field for the default language. A default language after all is
> a language that exists (either 'en', 'fr', etc.). This will make your index
> smaller and make you run the query on less fields (15 instead of 25).

That's true, but then you loose the ability to search for the
local/official name, that might differ from your language. A german can
search for Strasbourg (local) and Straßburg (german) and getting the same
result. As long as the performance allows it I will continue to go for it.