When you say "- do not let a shard grow bigger than your JVM heap (this is
really a rough estimation) so segment merging will work flawlessly"

are we counting all the primary and replicas shards of all indexes on that
node?  So for example, if we had two indexes with on 10 node cluster. Each
index has 10 shards and 1 replica(40 total in cluster).

So per node, the heap size should be larger than:

1 shard for first index
1 shard for replica of first index
1 shard for second index
1 shard for replica second index