I was just curious if there was a way of doing this without doing this, I
can add the field if necessary.

For alternatives, what if in addition to es.mapping.id, there is another
property available also, like es.mapping.id.include.in.src where you could
specify whether the src field actually gets included in the source
document.  In elasticsearch, you can create and update documents without
having to include the id in the source document, so I think it would make
sense to be able to do that with elasticsearch-hadoop also.