The code is suspicious since it has an explicit check for versions prior to
1.2

https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/blob/master/src/main/java/org/elasticsearch/action/admin/cluster/state/ClusterStateRequest.java#L121-L124

Don't know much else about the code to comment further.

Cheers,

Ivan