Can you elaborate on how you're measuring and comparing these response
times and why you feel they are slow?
It might also help if you can put a sample query and document into
a gist/pastebin

Also, is your cluster under load when you run these queries? What metrics
are you gathering around that side?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer