Hi,

gzip/zlib compression is very bad for performance, so it can be interesting for
closed indices, but for live data I would not recommend it.
Also, you must know that:

Compression using lz4 is already enabled into indices,
ES/Lucene/Java usually read&write 4k blocks,

-> hence, compression is achieved on 4k blocks. If your filesystem uses 4k
blocks and you add FS compression, you will probably have a very small gain, if
any. I've tried on ZFS:

Filesystem             Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
zdata/ES-lz4           1.1T    1.9G    1.1T     0%    /zdata/ES-lz4
zdata/ES               1.1T    1.9G    1.1T     0%    /zdata/ES

If you are using a larger block size, like 128k, a compressed filesystem does
show some benefit:

Filesystem             Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
zdata/ES-lz4           1.1T    1.1G    1.1T     0%    /zdata/ES-lz4     ->
compressratio  1.73x
zdata/ES-gzip          1.1T    901M    1.1T     0%    /zdata/ES-gzip    ->
compressratio  2.27x
zdata/ES               1.1T    1.9G    1.1T     0%    /zdata/ES

But a file system block larger than 4k is very suboptimal for IO (ES read or
write one 4k block -> your FS must read or write a 128k block).