Recovery is throttled since version 0.90.1

http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/0.90/index-modules-store.html#store-throttling

Increase indices.store.throttle.max_bytes_per_sec to a level that is
suitable for your environment. Since IO should be the main bottleneck, the
setting could vary greatly depending on SSD, platter disk or shared storage.

--
Ivan