I noticed Siren has an example of 1000 library catalog records from British
Library prepared in JSON

https://github.com/sindicetech/siren/blob/master/siren-elasticsearch-demo/src/example/datasets/bnb/

>From what it seems, Siren can index a tree (semi-structured data), using
positional nodes, then you can express a tree node DSL query in JSON, and
the result is something like a list of found node ids.

Regarding the "inner hits" challenge, this seems to get very close, because
a JSON doc is always semi-structured. The question is how to embed Siren
documents into Elasticsearch documents (or vice versa), i.e. can they
co-exist and queried by a single query, combining the power of both.

While this is interesting for nested hierarchical data models, I am
studying JSON-LD and graph search in ES, for being able to follow links
between docs (or even between ES docs and web resources, local or remote).

Jörg