Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, Chrome on Mac OS (latest versions of
each) causes this web page to blank and redisplay continually. Can't read
it; hope you can.

In a previous life, I created a search engine that handled parent/child
relationships with blindingly fast performance. One trick was that the
index didn't just contain the document ID, but it contained the entire
hierarchy of IDs. So, for example (and brevity, the IDs are single letters):

Document ID and
relationship      Fully qualified and indexed ID
---------------   ------------------------------
A                 A
   B              A.B
      C           A.B.C
   D              A.D
      E           A.D.E
      F           A.D.F

So for example, it was nearly instantaneous to determine that, just by
looking at and comparing the fully qualified IDs:

A and F are in the same parent-child hierarchy, with F being a child of D
and a grandchild of A.

E and F are siblings under the same parent.

And so on.

Not sure how this would mesh with Lucene though. But complex parent-child
relationships could be intersected just by the fully qualified IDs that
came out of the inverted index. Documents did not need to be fetched or
cached to perform this operation, and the result was breathtakingly
blindingly fast performance.

Just FYI. I can discuss off-line if anyone wishes.

Brian