Yeah, I know ASM is a PITA :-)

At least in my app, I'm using hibernate and CXF.  I don't use JAXB
annotations currently as my webservices are super simple (due to the system
that needs to consume them).  So I might be OK.

If I remove MVEL, is that all I need to remove?

In my current use case, I'm planning to do an embedded runtime based on
WildFly, where the app server node can act as a data node.  This is until
we need to start scaling bigger (we're currently only looking at a couple
dozen users on at any time).  When we start to scale, my recommendation to
the infra team is to build out dedicated ES nodes and allow them to join
the app server cluster with the app servers eventually moving out of data
mode and into just client mode.  I'm assuming that doing this will cause
the data nodes to pull in whatever data was held by the app servers.

Thanks a lot for your help so far!

John