When I took the Core Elasticsearch class last week, someone from
Elasticsearch said that Kibana 4.0 is in the works but is at least a couple
of months away from release. There wasn't any real detail on features,
other than to say that it is a complete rewrite that tries to expose as
much native Elasticsearch query functionality as possible.

I was also told that most security-related features will be released in a
commercial "security module" for Elasticsearch that will have a non-trivial
cost associated with it. I don't know if this includes role-based access
control or not.