Hardware problems in Azure?  Hmm.  I suppose so :)

In this case I restarted just ES (i.e., shutdown ES using
http://localhost:9200/_cluster/nodes/_local/_shutdown and then ran
elasticsearch.bat again) and thus didn't reboot the VM or anything so
dramatic.  All of the ES node files remained in place and the node
reconnected with the cluster with no issue.  My rdp session remained.  I
suspect if this were a hardware issue a) we would have seen this long ago
and b) it would have persisted after I restarted ES.

Related, we actually have two clusters of the same size and same data that
have exhibited the same behavior.  The cluster in which I restarted three
ES nodes remains responsive.  The other cluster in which I have not (yet)
restarted nodes remains with the highly variable response time (200-40000ms
with 34415ms being a recent one).

Thanks for replying.

Craig.