Problem solved.  "indices.fielddata.cache.size:2GB" doesn't mean use 2GB
for caching it means use up to 134MB (2GB / 16) for each of the 16 segments
within the cache.  Due to the particular combination of queries, shard /
node and the eviction pattern, I can explain all of the perf results I have
documented.

As a short term solution I made the "size" 4.5GB, but that will mean about
300mb per segment. The right solution is to fix GUAVA to allow segments to
be overcommitted and then do an async eviction across segments to ensure
the overall size remains close to the target.

Craig.