So I'm about to upgrade to 1.3.4, but due to some unfortunate circumstances
I need to migrate my ES cluster to new VMs.
The environment is fairly simple. At the top I have logstash agent pulling
messages off of a Redis server and feeding it to my 2 node cluster (2
replicas, 2 shards per index). So for what it's worth I can stop logstash
and the cluster will essentially stop indexing data, allowing me to shut it
down without issue. Once I have the old cluster shut down, I intend to
rsync it over to the new cluster which is 3 nodes (2 replicas, 3 shards per
What is the best approach here? I was thinking that I could rsync the data
folder from 1 of my 2 VMs running on the old cluster but then I realized
that the primary shard for each index might not be on that VM. Can I
manually set the primary shard somehow?