Unless you are moving to new hardware, there is no need to rsync your data.
Both Elasticsaerch 0.90.x and 1.3.x are based on Lucene 4, so the
underlying data is compatible. Of course, you should backup your data
before such an upgrade.

After restarting your new cluster with your old data, I would run an
optimize on your indices so that Lucene can upgrade all your segments into
the new format. There have been some issues with Lucene format
incompatibilities, but they usually deal with indices with beta Lucene
versions.

You cannot bring up a mixed cluster between 0.90 and 1.x, so you would need
to stop all your VMs. Why are you interested in primary shards?
Elasticsearch is not like most database where the primary node has an extra
special connotation. I have not played around with shard allocation much,
but here is an old article:
http://blog.sematext.com/2012/05/29/elasticsearch-shard-placement-control/

Cheers,

Ivan