FYI, I have found a solution that works (at least for me).

I’ve got a small cluster for testing, only 4 v1.3.5 nodes. What I’ve done is
bring up 4X new v1.4.0 nodes as data-only machines. In the yaml I added a line
to point the nodes via unicast explicitly to the current master:
discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts: ["10.210.9.224:9300"]

When I restarted elasticsearch with that setting, with cloud-aws installed and
configured on version 2.4.0, the new nodes found the cluster and properly
joined it.

I will now start nuking the old v1.3.5 nodes to migrate the data off of them.
Before the final 1.3.5 node is nuked, I will change the config on one of the
v1.4.0 nodes to allow it as master and restart it.

I’m not sure if the master stuff is needed or not, but I was very afraid of a
split-brain problem. I have another 4-node testing cluster that I will be able
to try this upgrade again with in a more controlled manner.

I’m NOT looking forward to upgrading our current production cluster this way
(15 data-only nodes, 3 master-only nodes).

So it would appear that the problem is somewhere in the unicast discovery code.
The question is who’s to blame? Elasticsearch or the cloud-aws plugin?