Thanks, Joerg.

    bin/elasticsearch -Des.node.data=true -Des.de.master=false
-Des.node.name=DataOne

and

    curl -XPUT 'localhost:9200/testindex2/_settings' -d ' {"index" :
{"number_of_replicas" : 0}}'

with several restarts, have got me to a state where I see the following
command-response sequence:

    curl "http://localhost:9200/_cluster/health?pretty=true"{
      "cluster_name" : "elasticsearch",
      "status" : "red",
      "timed_out" : false,
      "number_of_nodes" : 1,
      "number_of_data_nodes" : 1,
      "active_primary_shards" : 1,
      "active_shards" : 1,
      "relocating_shards" : 0,
      "initializing_shards" : 0,
      "unassigned_shards" : 33
    }
    curl -XPOST "http://localhost:9200/testindex2/_open";
    {"acknowledged":false}
    curl -XPOST "http://localhost:9200/testindex2/_open";
    {"acknowledged":true}
    curl "http://localhost:9200/_cluster/health?pretty=true"{
      "cluster_name" : "elasticsearch",
      "status" : "red",
      "timed_out" : false,
      "number_of_nodes" : 1,
      "number_of_data_nodes" : 1,
      "active_primary_shards" : 1,
      "active_shards" : 1,
      "relocating_shards" : 0,
      "initializing_shards" : 5,
      "unassigned_shards" : 33
    }

At one point I saw
    curl "http://localhost:9200/_cluster/health?pretty=true"; {
      "cluster_name" : "elasticsearch",
      "status" : "yellow",
      "timed_out" : false,
      "number_of_nodes" : 2,
      "number_of_data_nodes" : 2,
      "active_primary_shards" : 17,
      "active_shards" : 17,
      "relocating_shards" : 0,
      "initializing_shards" : 0,
      "unassigned_shards" : 17
    }

Marvel overview now shows a single node at 192.168.0.9:9300. That's 9300,
not 9200. I have no idea how the second node disappeared. It looks like
when I try to open testindex2, after deleting it and partially
re-establishing it, Elasticsearch gets stuck while trying to initialize 5
residual shards.

I'm utterly confused. I'm also motivated to learn more about node
management. I'd really like to do this with a working installation. How can
I untangle myself?

Thanks.