Is there any notion triggering a re-election of the master node?

I'm currently running 1.2.4, and I have an instance that is scheduled for
retirement (my favorite!) and it just so happens that it's my master node.
 What can I do to avoid the dreaded "RED" state?  Is there some mechanism
that can allow me to re-assign the current master to one of the other
available two dedicated master nodes so I can reboot the current master?

I ask because I'm a bit gun-shy due to my experience when an elected master
node has gone unresponsive (before I created dedicated masters) due to
excessive HTTP connections, master re-election seemed to never occur and
everything comes crumbling down.

Thanks!
- Erik