The load issue affecting master detection / election shouldn't happen if
you have dedicated masters... At least it is with 0.90.x

( with my limited knowledge of ES implementation details, there seems to be
a lock or priority issue when serving large # of requests (http / thrift) ,
affecting cluster / metadata updates... I would think these metadata tasks
ought to take priority in some cases over queries... )