Hi,
We have a 98 node cluster of ES with each node 32GB RAM. 16GB is reserved
for ES via config file. The index has 98 shards with 2 replicas.

On this cluster we are loading a large number of documents (when done it
would be about 10 billion). In this use case about 40million documents are
generated per hour and we are pre-loading several days worth of documents to
prototype how ES will scale, and its query performance.

Right now we are facing problems getting data loaded. Indexing is turned
off. We use NEST client, with batch size of 10k. To speed up data load, we
distribute the hourly data to each of the 98 nodes to insert in parallel.
This worked ok for a few hours till we got 4.5B documents in the cluster.

After that the cluster state went to red. The outstanding tasks CAT API
shows errors like below. CPU/Disk/Memory seems to be fine on the nodes.

Why are we getting these errors?. any help greatly appreciated since this
blocks prototyping ES for our use case.

thanks
Darshat

Sample errors:

source               : shard-failed ([agora_v1][24],
                       node[00ihc1ToRiqMDJ1lou1Sig], [R], s[INITIALIZING]),
                       reason [Failed to start shard, message
                       [RecoveryFailedException[[agora_v1][24]: Recovery
                       failed from [Shingen
Harada][RDAwqX9yRgud9f7YtZAJPg][CH1
                       SCH060051438][inet[/10.46.153.84:9300]] into
[Elfqueen][

00ihc1ToRiqMDJ1lou1Sig][CH1SCH050053435][inet[/10.46.182
                       .106:9300]]]; nested:
RemoteTransportException[[Shingen

Harada][inet[/10.46.153.84:9300]][internal:index/shard/r
                       ecovery/start_recovery]]; nested:
                       RecoveryEngineException[[agora_v1][24] Phase[1]
                       Execution failed]; nested:
                       RecoverFilesRecoveryException[[agora_v1][24] Failed
                       transfer [0] files with total size of [0b]]; nested:
NoS

uchFileException[D:\app\ES.ElasticSearch_v010\elasticsea

rch-1.4.1\data\AP-elasticsearch\nodes\0\indices\agora_v1
                       \24\index\segments_6r]; ]]

AND

source               : shard-failed ([agora_v1][95],
                       node[PUsHFCStRaecPA6MuvJV9g], [P], s[INITIALIZING]),
                       reason [Failed to start shard, message
                       [IndexShardGatewayRecoveryException[[agora_v1][95]
                       failed to fetch index version after copying it over];
                       nested: CorruptIndexException[[agora_v1][95]
                       Preexisting corrupted index
                       [corrupted_1wegvS7BSKSbOYQkX9zJSw] caused by:
                       CorruptIndexException[Read past EOF while reading
                       segment infos]
                           EOFException[read past EOF:
MMapIndexInput(path="D:\

app\ES.ElasticSearch_v010\elasticsearch-1.4.1\data\AP-el

asticsearch\nodes\0\indices\agora_v1\95\index\segments_1
                       1j")]
                       org.apache.lucene.index.CorruptIndexException: Read
                       past EOF while reading segment infos
                           at
org.elasticsearch.index.store.Store.readSegmentsI
                       nfo(Store.java:127)
                           at
org.elasticsearch.index.store.Store.access$400(St
                       ore.java:80)
                           at
org.elasticsearch.index.store.Store$MetadataSnaps
                       hot.buildMetadata(Store.java:575)
---snip more stack trace-----