I have an index /testdate/daterange with the following mapping

    PUT /testdate/daterange/_mapping
    {
      "daterange": {
        "properties": {
          "text":{
            "type": "string"
          },
          "date": {
            "type": "date",
            "format": "dateOptionalTime"

And there are some documents e.g

    PUT /testdate/daterange/1
    {
      "text": "This Quater",
      "date": "2015-01-20T07:22:15+00:00"
    }
    PUT /testdate/daterange/2
    {
      "text": "Last Quater",
      "date": "2015-11-20T07:22:15+00:00"
    }

I want to search using a filter on the date field for documents from this
the last quarter. Something like the following

    GET /testdate/daterange/_search
    {
      "filter":{
        "range": {
          "date": {
            "gt": "now-1Q/Q",
            "lt": "now/Q"

Elasticsearch only supports Joda date formats
(http://joda-time.sourceforge.net/apidocs/org/joda/time/format/DateTimeFormat.html)

which does not have any support for quarter.

Also if I try something like

    GET /testdate/daterange/_search
    {
      "filter":{
        "range": {
          "date": {
            "gt": "now-3M/3M",
            "lt": "now/3M"

I get an error

    ElasticsearchParseException[rounding `/` can only be used on single
unit types

So how can I achieve this?