I'm at a bit of a loss here...

I have a pretty standard setup of elasticsearch and I'm able to curl/telnet
to port 9200 locally, but the connection is refused if accessed from
another server. I'm likewise unable to connect to port 9300. For Kibana3
I've also added:

http.cors.allow-origin: "*"
http.cors.enabled: true

Our servers are on Amazon EC2 but we really don't need all the automated
discovery stuff within the EC2 plugin. The ports are open through the
security group and there's nothing in IP tables or any other firewalls. I
also get slightly different behavior once the ports were open so it feels
like the connection is being refused by the server or elasticsearch, itself.

Any pointers?
Is the EC2 plugin a requirement in this case?

Thanks