Hey guys,

i´ve been around this "problem" for quite a while, and didnt got a clear
answer to it.

Like many of you guys out there, we are running an es-"cluster" on a single
strong server, moving older indices from the fast SSD´s to slow cheap HDD´s
(About 25 TB data).

To make this work we got 3 instances of ES running with the path of indices
set to the HDD´s mountpoint and 1 single instance for the
indexing/searching SSD´s.

What makes me wonder all the time is, that even the "Storage"-nodes dont do
anything(there is no indexing happening, there is 95% of the time no
searching happening, they are just keeping the old indices fresh) the cpu
load caused by this "idle" nodes is about 50% from the whole cpu working
time.

hot_threads: https://gist.github.com/german23/662732ca4d9dbdcb406b

Is it possible that due to ES-Cluster mechanism, all the indexes are keep
getting refreshed all the time, when a document is indexed or a search is
executed.

Are there any configuration options to avoid such an behavior?

Would it be better to export the old indices to an separate ES-Cluster and
configure multiple ES-Paths in Kibana?

Are there any best practices to maintain such cluster?

I would appreciate any form of feedback.

Thanks