"It looks like it is related to an intellij maven import issue as it is
not downloading any new dependency I am adding."

Pardon? I don't understand what you are saying. Are we talking about
the same project?  Have you looked at the docs I mentioned?
In particular [1] the install page?

I ask since:

- the connector is a jar that you can just install/download and add to
your classpath. It works standalone and doesn't require anything else
- it is NOT a maven plugin
- even if you are trying to build the project, it does not use maven
but rather Gradle
- the connector doesn't download anything for you. Least a
"dependency" that you are adding.

[1] http://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/hadoop/2.1.Beta/install.html