If the correct audio level is applied to the K3/K3S and adjusted as specified in the manual or in the Cady book, with the ALC indicator showing 4 bars solid and the 5th bar flickering, there is no danger of having a poor quality signal.    In other words, read the manual and do not rely on what "others" have said. Again, more incorrect "old ham lore".

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 9/1/2024 12:20 PM, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
Message: 7
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 10:12:45 -0400
From: "Dave New, N8SBE"<n8...@densbe.com>
To: Elecraft Reflector<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 shuts down

Also, for digital modes, I run my equipment at half power, max. So, for
a 100W XCVR, I run it at 50W.

This serves two purposes.  One, it's easier on the PA, and two, it
leaves a 3dB 'overhead' for the digital mode, and less likelihood of
distortion getting into your TX signal.  This has been SOP for many
years for digital modes.

A difference of 1/2 S-unit on the receiving end will generally be
unnoticed, and your equipment will thank you, as well as any receiving
nodes that may not be able to decode your signal if you are pushing your
equipment to its limits.

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE, Hamshack Hotline 590-0971, HamsOverIP 101018,
AmateurWire 1348
--
Daddy said there would be days like this!