Hi Jim,

The AX1 (and the AX2) are both electrically short antennas that are not
intended to replace larger/higher antennas such as full-length dipoles,
verticals, or random wires. Instead they're best suited to quick-deployment
situations or when erecting a larger antenna is not possible. I've operated
from high in a tree, dangling on the edge of a cliff, in dodgy public spaces,
from my livingroom couch, a hammock, and while riding a bike. As Ade Weiss used
to say, "If there is a place -- and you can get to it -- you must operate from
there."

Typically the AX1 is connected directly to a radio, with no coax. This
eliminates any coax losses related to length or high SWR. It's ideal for
everything from picnic tables to pedestrian mobile.

Resonance on both 20 and 17 meters is only approximate, so an ATU is generally
required to make the transmitter happy.

As for performance, it'll vary with band conditions. I've worked Australia from
California using the AX1 at 5 W. I never fail to make some Qs on a field
outing. But, per the manual, work louder stations first, and try operating
during contests.

I suggest setting an initial goal within the spirit of ultraportable QRP, maybe
working 10 states without the benefit of sitting down :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR