-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of John R. Lonigro
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 10:39 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K1 Battery Question

John:

Here's my guess:
1) Measure the receive current in Amps (Ir).
2) Measure the transmit current at the power level you plan to operate,
in Amps (It).
3) Estimate your transmit duty cycle, which will usually be quite a bit
less than 50%.
4) Compute average current drain (I).
    Assuming a 40% duty cycle, your average current drain (I) would be
0.6 x Ir +  0.4 x It
5) Divide 4  Amp Hrs by your average current drain and that will give
you an estimate of your time with the battery.

I don't have a K1, but the spec says as little as 55 ma on receive, so
assume 60 ma (0.06 Amps).  If your transmit current is 1.0 Amp, then
with a 40% transmit duty cycle (probably high), your average current
drain would be 0.6 x .06 + .4 x 1.0 or 0.44 Amps.  With those
assumptions, your fully charged 4.0 Amp Hr battery should last about
4.0/.44 or 9 hours.  A 40% duty cycle might be equivalent to continuous
heavy operating during a contest.

John AA0VE

John J. Bahun wrote:

>I have a 4 Amp Hour Gel Cell pack that I just acquired.  I was wondering if
anyone has any input as to how long I should expect the K1 to operate off
this battery with typical transmit behavior (Not sure exactly what that
is...)

>Thanks
>
>JB - WB8UFA / 7

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc):
http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com