Hi Dan:

As I wrote the reply, I was thinking that 40% duty cycle was way too high, because, as you say, there's lots of dead time even while transmitting, but I figured the example would show John how to go about estimating the life of his battery using his own guesses. There are lots of unknowns involved. I have no idea what power setting he uses, how efficient the K1 transmitter is, his SWR, etc. My K2 draws anywhere from 1.5-2.4 Amps at 5 Watts into a dummy load, depending on the band. Another thing not factored in is the 4.0 Amp Hr battery rating assumes a 20 hour discharge. A 1 Amp load would finish off the battery in less than 4 hours. Battery temperature is also a factor, but not so much in the Summer.
In my case, I'm sure I'd be asleep well before the battery died.

Thanks for the clarification. I should think twice before I hit the send key. This group's too smart!

73's

John AA0VE

Dan Barker wrote:

Actually, the 40% Tx duty is only 50% key down (there's spaces betewwn the
elements). So, you use .2 for the Tx factor.
.8 Ir + .2 It = .24 or 16 hours.

Now, after you work the 9 hours, you might fall over and hit your head on
the key, and then the CW duty cycle goes to 100%. But the Tx duty cycle
would go to 100% also, and you'd be off the air sooner. Not that it matters
much as you are napping on the key<g>.

Dan / WG4S / K2 #2456