No, I didn't miss it at all. I found your observations to be completely in line
with my
expectations. For most contests, I have to operate as if I were QRP -- no beam,
100
watts to compromise wire antennas on a city lot (and often a high noise level).
 That
puts me roughly 17 dB below the guys with legal power and beams (and it puts
QRP
to a wire antenna 30 dB below legal power and beams). In other words, you've
learned how I have to operate in virtually every contest except Field Day, and
is why
Field Day is my favorite contest -- there are very few stations running more
than 100
watts!

But I have a lot of fun working contests at home,  because it hones my
operating
skills. I am among those who believe that ALL contests ought to be limited to
100
watts to make it a more level playing field. It would mean that folks without
big power
and big antennas have a better chance to hit bigger numbers.

73,

Jim  K9YC

http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm