Hi Chas,

>Third year in a row with the K2, a deep cycle battery and the home antenna farm.
540 QSOS... all CW in 15 hours of operation.

        But...your home antenna farm (3 stacked Skyhawks, a 40m
Yagi, 3 el SteppIR, etc) must be worth ~10 dB over temporary wire
setups. A single 180' wire at 60' fed with ladder line was a MAJOR effort
to erect temporarily given our rainy weather just before Field Day.  I
felt VERY lucky to have gotten it up between showers on Friday
afternoon (my XYL helped only with getting the central rope support
up and I did everything else myself).

>Thus you can see 1200 CW QSOs from a 100 watt station and 700 from a QRP station on 40 meters. (note the QRP station ended up with more 40 meter points) of course the QRP station that made 700 Qs on 40 was pretty successful CQing using a 3 el wire beam.

        Again, compare the gain of W2GD's 3 el wire beam to
a single wire.  W2GD had one of the strongest signals of
anyone on 40 meters other than locals and I was quite
surprised to learn they were only running 5 watts.  Gain
antennas on multiple bands for a temporary operation were
simply out of the question for me.

>Bottom line, you have to call some CQs even when QRP.

        Bottom bottom line, it doesn't matter how much you
call CQ if you don't get answers!  If you don't have a
signal that commands attention, either through power,
antenna gain or location (RF-wise or rarity), CQ-ing does
not work in and of itself unless you get ANSWERS.

        All in all, I suppose I shouldn't feel too bad in having
about the same number of QSO's as you in 30% more operating
time, given our relative differences in antenna systems.  But
I've definitely had my quota of weak signal S&P-ing for awhile!
As I said, I'm now looking forward to being a Bumblebee at the
end of July when hopefully people will actually be trying to
hear those of us with weak signals!  ;-)  I left my central
support rope up so I can quickly hike up to the same site just
after church before the Flight begins at 1 PM EDT.  Hope to
see all you folks again then!

73, Bill W4ZV