Terry

I am using a hy-gain vertical (6BTV) and also have a random length of wire.
Both have given me contacts in the US and decent DX - 4X, XE, LU, TI2, TG,
etc.  It sounds to me like you are picking up a lot of just plain old "line"
noise, that is, dimmers, florescent lights and the cursed switching power
supply used in most PCs.

My wire is a length of RG-58, about 50 feet, running to the edge of the
house at ground level, there the shield is grounded to an 8 foot ground rod.
For static drain I have a 100 uh inductor across the center and ground at
this point, like is added on the KPA-100 mod. I then took 70 ft of copper
wire, Radio Shack SWL antenna wire, went straight up the house to the peak
(about 18 feet) and then over to the highest tree that I could get a rock
through one of the branches (about 40 feet high and 40 feet away.  The wire
is not tight and sort of makes a sagging arch about like a quarter circle.
But it works almost as good as the Hy-Gain and the K2 has no problem tuning
it on any band.  WWV comes through on 15 at 10 to 20 over in the late
afternoon early evenings.

You might want to make sure that you have set L34 at its optimum point as
the noise will affect the AGC in addition to giving you extra noise.  A
technique I stumbled on follows.

Follow the instructions for "I.F. Amplifier Alignment."  When you get to the
last step plug the PC sound card into the Speaker Jack (not Headphone as it
attenuates some high frequencies).  You will notice some noise spread across
the Spectrogram display. Make sure the XFIL is set for FL-1
OP-1.  Now continue to adjust L34 for a compromise of the lowest displayed
noise and the highest level of the tone.  You will find a point where the
noise is almost non existent.  If you don't have Spectrogram just about any
PSK program will also work - I found the waterfall mode gave a sort of
"Sonar" display that was obvious when all of the "grass" (noise) was gone.

Follow the instructions for setting the AGC (do that after above even if you
thought it was set properly.

Even though I had adjusted this to what I thought was the best by "ear,"
after using this method and then re-adjusting the ARC threshold.  I was
amazed at the difference in sensitivity and audio level.  Maybe this is one
of the problems/reasons you have "low output volume," "high noise," or "low
gain."

Rich
KE0X