On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:35:15 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I'm seriously thinking about buying as 5-band Hustler to ground mount behind
>my shack.  I've been told that my signal to noise ratio would improve
>considerab

Congratulations on your upgrade and getting on the air. I seriously doubt that
vertical antenna would help your noise situation -- in general, noise tends to
be
vertically polarized, and a vertical would make matters worse. The salesman is
not giving you good advice, either because of ignorance or because he wants to
sell you an antenna.

I live in the middle of Chicago, and have problems with noise too, but maybe
not
as bad as yours. I have several antennas here, and find that some pick up less
noise than others. Three are horizontal, two are vertical. The location of
these
antennas and how close they happen to be to the noise sources has a lot to do
with how much noise they pick up.

You didn't say what bands you are trying to operate. If you can do it, I would
try to
put up a horizontal half-wave dipole for the band(s) you want to work.
Multi-band
trap dipoles work fine, and the traps allow them to be shorter than full-size
half-
wave dipoles. The HyPower Antenna company makes very nice loading coil
traps and will sell you the traps only or complete antennas. I've built two
antennas
using their loading coil traps.  Do a google search to find them. Barry is very
good to deal with.

If your space is limited, I would concentrate on bands that allow you to use
shorter antennas. 20 m and 30 m are excellent bands for QRP and the antennas
don't have to be very long to be reasonably effective. At my qth, I also find
that the
bands get less noisy as I go higher in frequency.

Another idea for you. If you have one of those VHF talkies that lets you listen
the HF bands, try taking it around your home and surrounding area to listen for
the noise you hear on your main HF rig. This may give you some ideas about
where an antenna will pick up less noise, and it can also tell you which of
your
home electronics gear may  be  generating that noise!  Computers, digital
equipment, TV's, etc. are notorious for generating RF noise.

73,

Jim K9YC