On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 07:15:01PM -0700, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
> Nope. Those are smaller than anything I've used!
>
> Yeah, I'm aware that many (most?) of the numbers I've seen have nothing to
> do with any parts I.D. conventions that I know!
>
> As a technical writer I work in metric all the time. I have to convert back
> to English more than go the other way.
>
> Most people here don't realize that the standard system of weights and
> measures in the USA is metric. We converted by an act of Congress to Metric
> over 100 years ago. The problem was that Congress didn't make the old
> English system illegal. Still  wish they would <G>.

Me too.  I recall hearing that Jefferson proposed it in the early years
of this country, but was unable to push it through.  One Interstate
(I-19 in Arizona) has metric signage, however.

> Never say an American can't be stubborn. (Lessee 3/32 inch times 9/16 inch
> ...ehhhhh...).

I thought it somewhat amusing that the Brits still use miles, although
they have converted most other things (except for Imperial pints of
beer, of course).

Bob, N7XY