Paul,

8 volts on R30 usually means the VCO is not oscillating. Try your counter probe on TP1 to see if there is any frequency indicated - if so, check that the frequency is correct for the band you are on (likely 40 meters at this stage of construction) - the low band edge frequencies are listed in Appendix B of the manual on the K2 Schematic Key sheet.

If you have no frequency indication at TP1, put the probe (carefully so not to short adjacent pins) on U3 pin 3. If you have a nearly correct frequency at either of these locations, the VCO is oscillating and the trouble lies elsewhere.

Let us know what you find.

73,
Don W3FPR