Steve,

I can comment on the use on WinLink for use by maritime motile stations, which is a different use from what you are considering, ie, EMComm use. Most of the WinLink operation heretofore has been by maritime mobile stations.

I helped a new ham outfit a station this spring on his 44 ft sailboat for a trip to the Caribbean. He was planning to use a IC706 for WinLink and for his Marine SSB, but I advised him to keep the old SSB and switch his antenna to the 706/tuner for ham use. The 706 or K2 will not cover all the marine SSB frequencies anyway. The 706 has better DSP NR than the K2 which may be important as many marine diesels are very noisy. I used my 706 car mobile as a Maritime mobile this spring, and I keep 14300 in the ship's SSB for an occasional check-in to the to the maritime mobile net, but I have never used WinLink. However, I use other digital modes with my K2 and K2/100 which works fine; there's no reason they would not work well on WinLink. Probably better than most ham transceivers. You use r or r rev on the K2 which was designed for digital use, and cut back power to about 30 watts on the K2/100 or 5 watts on the K2. I use a home brew interface. You need a propriety modem for Pactor II for WinLink which costs in the 400-700 dollar range, I don't have the exact price. I think that also applies to WinLink 2000 which you are considering, but I might be mistaken. If so, please correct this impression if I am wrong to set the record straight. I need to read up on the ARRL proposal to use WinLink 2000. Some software designers have tried to incorporate Amtor into their digital software but have timing problems with Windows in the ARQ mode. Pactor II is proprietary so they cannot offer software using Pactor II. If they could offer Pactor II as a Windows program they may have the same timing problems in the ARQ mode.

If you just want e-mail from a ship, we have found a better plan is to buy a satellite system. We now use a satellite system while at sea which really works FB. The cost of the particular satellite system we use is 1/3 to 1/2 that of a WinLink system, and works much better. This particular satellite system uses LEO (Low Earth Orbit) satellites of which there are about two dozen to give coverage 90+ % of the time, and it operates at 9600 baud. It transmits on about 149 MHz and receives on about 132 MHz. It can use the ship's VHF antenna on a time shared basis, but a dedicated VHF antenna is advised. The satellite system also gives WX, will convert a digital message to voice and forward to any voice telephone as a voice message, will send a distress message, and has a few other bells and whistles. It connects to the e-net and will do Yahoo, etc, and there are ways to avoid Spam, 100%. There is a monthly fee which is very reasonable for a trip or for a commercial vessel. It is useful any distance from shore, worldwide. My advise for a ship sailing offshore is a SSB that covers the international life boat frequency of 2182 KHz, normal marine VHF, if you want e-mail, a LEO satellite system and a ham transceiver is you want to chat on the maritime mobile nets. If anyone wants more details on the satellite system, e-mail me off line.

I'm not really pushing any particular method of e-mail use for maritime motile stations, and I realize it is off-topic, but satellite communication heretofore has been out of sight price wise using stationery birds, but I feel the price break-through and superior performance over HF using VHF and the LEO satellites is worth mentioning to hams who are considering a maritime mobile WinLink station. (I should put this in a letter to QST).

73,  Chas, W1CG