That's normal in all K2's, QRP or QRO, Ken. Unless you have a
neo-geo-gravitational flux going over on the east side of Portland that we
don't have on the west side (in Forest Grove) <G>.

What's happening is that the K2 power control is actually a "requested
power" control. When you change the POWER knob setting, the next time you
transmit the power monitoring circuit compares the RF power output with what
you've requested and then adjusts the RF output to match it, assuming that
it can. That's why the POWER control lets you set it for power levels above
what the K2 actually produces on most bands.

In order for the K2 to "know" whether to change the power output to match
what you've requested, it be making RF. The logic circuits monitoring the
power output are "polled" at intervals, so if you send some dits it might
take several before the K2 is actually making RF long enough for the power
control circuit to adjust things properly.

For safety's sake, when you first turn the K2 on, the internal power control
automatically sets the output to zero, so the first dit or two are sent at
nearly zero watts.

You can bump up the power faster after turn-on by sending a dah instead of
dits.

Ron AC7AC