You said the "cans aren't shorted" to ground, or did you mean the signal
path isn't shorted?

It's amazingly easy to use a tad too much solder on one of the crystal lead
pads, and it'll form enough of a bump under the can to short the signal path
to the can and ground. Usually that kills the output completely, but a
higher resistance short is also possible that would simply bring the signal
way down.  Check the resistance at each crystal pin to ground and make sure
the resistance is at least many megohms (should be an open circuit).

Ron AC7AC