Hello Herb!

> I found the elecraft web and have noticed that all that
is posted is troubles with kits. Is this common ?

The Elecraft reflector is useful for folks who have questions or are looking for help.

The kits are straightforward to construct, and there is plenty of help available via the reflector, as well as directly from Elecraft, so ensure your success.

Thousands of Elecraft radios are on the air, and all of them are kits.

You might consider downloading a manual from the Elecraft website and looking it over. It will give you a good idea of the ease (or difficulty) you might expect if you decide to build one.

Personally, my first radio was a kit (Heathkit, 40 years ago) and there was a certain thrill to being able to say the the radio I was using was one I had constructed. I was 14 at the time.

73,

Lyle KK7P