I am going to reply in an odd way and let me explain why.  When I first got
into the hobby I wanted to build a kit and I brought the following skill set
to the table;
        All thumbs
        Eyes are not what they should be {components are really small}
        Did not know much about components
        Knew a little about soldering
        My theory was really [,really] rusty

I looked at the K2 [a buddy built one] kit and I got to tell you while the
manual is laid out well, Elecraft takes a lot of user input and makes
changes for the better, but it was intimidating to me.

I went to www.smallwonderlabs.com and found Dave Benson kits and I have
built two of them.  They were a bit easier and less components than the
Elecraft kit.  Are they as good, nope but I have worked a lot of states with
them.  I have friends with good trouble shooting skills {mine still need
work}

Do they have all the features, nope they are mono-band kits.  Why did I get
it......  it was easier to start with for me with the time I had available.
Anytime one of the folks say I built this kit in 10 hours, I know I have to
double it at least!

Will I ever build a Elecraft kit........  I got to be honest I still have to
hone my building and trouble shooting skills [IMHO] and get a glass to
magnify the parts.  My eyes are not what they should be.  So after I have
retired and the novelty of the grandkids has worn off [more time] I may try
one.

But if you decide the try a K2, K1 or KX1 the folks on this list will not
let you fail!! Help is always there and people are available to repair what
ever mess you make.

--
73
Chuck AA8VS