Howard:
The standard means given in the manual for setting the S meter produces settings that are generally low, i.e., readings that ought be S9 tend to register much lower than S9. Many people have simply goosed up their settings so that signals they feel should be S9 register as such. Elecraft produces a little minkit, the XG1 Receiver Test Oscillator / S-Meter Calibrator, that creates a highly accurate .5 microvolt signal (at 7.04 MHz). Using this will give you a very accurate S meter setting for 40 meters. I cannot speak for its behavior on other bands.

best wishes,

dave belsley, w1euy