Roland,

Picking up someone else's work is harder that starting it yourself, but can be done - just take your time and do things one step at a time (see below).

If you are using a "cheapie" multimeter, treat yourself to a DMM - they are available in a range of prices. Marlin P. Jones and Associates www.mpja.com has several ranging from $6.95 to $99.95 - the big difference is in accuracy, so check the specs and decide. The high price model has an accuracy of 0.1% +/- 1 Least Significant Digit, while the 'low price leader' has an accuracy of 2.5% +/- 5 LS Digit. Remember the accuracy specs when using your DMM - the % accuracy is applied to the full scale of the range you are using, but the +/- LS digit is usually the real 'gotcha' for low readings it says you really can't quite trust the last digit displayed (and by how much you need to distrust it)..

Another thing about your multimeter - if it is of the older analog type, don't use it for measuring resistance on solid state devices, some meters use a rather high voltage when measuring resistance and can give misleading readings if it causes solid state devices to conduct - a few use voltages high enough to destroy devices, but this is the extreme case. Don't throw the analog meter away, used with an RF probe, it can provide a nice peaking meter when you get around to aligning the transmitter - an analog meter will show the peak immediately while a digital meter needs time to 'settle in', and you can miss the peak.

The best way to proceed with an uncompleted project is to first check that all components have been inserted in the correct location. Open the manual to the parts listing and check each installed part for the correct value. When that is done, check the soldering carefully, then re-check the soldering, and when you are finished, go back and check the soldering. The most frequent problem is unsoldered or improperly soldered connections and the second is incorrect components - improperly or poorly tinned toroid leads (PTTL) is also high on the list, but there are no toroids mounted on your kit yet.

73,
Don W3FPR

----- Original Message ----- I picked up this partially built K2 from a friend who decided it wasn't his cup of tea. First thing I tried to do was follow along the manual and do the resistance checks on the completed control panel and front panel.These test were already done and the results written down, I was just trying to repeat the steps to see if I was on the right track. I'm not getting anything on some things and others look fine. My cheapy multimeter could be the problem. I'll tell you all right up front that I've never done anything like this before. Before I stuff it back in the box it came in and put it in the attic forever, I thought I'd give this list a try (cry?) for help. I always wanted to do this type of thing and have already invested in a soldering station and big magnifing light among other do-dads, mostly for this project. Kinda hoping to break out of just being a button pusher from stuff off the shelf. I know there has got to be some of you guys shaking your heads out there...