On Dec 1, 2004, at 20:26, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
Another US $15 or wo
will get you a "static dissipative" mat that provides further protection.

For those who would like to save the last penny, may I recommend the largish plastic bags used for wrapping computer mainboards as antistatic mats? They are surprisingly conductive, though they will not last very long compared to a genuine antistatic mat.

The bags in question can often be had for the asking at those 'beige box' computer stores down at the corner. They are transparent and have a black criss-crossing, which is the antistatic conductors. The largest ones I've got are 30x40 cm (12x16 inches).

Also remember that air humidity indoors is often very low when it is freezing outside. Like in the winter when we like to work in the shack.

--
73 de Frank, OZ1IOC. K2 #4538, passed building phase II testing.