--- John W2XS wrote:
The 42-foot wire received slightly lower signal reports than the inverted V,
but most people said that they could still hear me fine on the wire. To my
surprise, though, most people reported no real difference with and without
the counterpoise.  I don't know if this was a circumstance of my particular
installation, but I would have thought that the counterpoise would make more
difference.
--- end of quote ---

John,

I've read in a number of places that the counterpoise should ideally be slightly
longer than the antenna wire. Perhaps that is why little difference was noted.

73,
Charlie
N1AOK