Harold,

A couple of suggestions in repairing your Astron.
You MUST discharge the large filter capacitor before removing or replacing the
LM723 regulator IC (this is the part you will likely have to replace).

The RS-20 uses 2N3055 pass transistors, but you can also use 2N3771 (which is
what Astron has been using on newer units).  Test the pass transistors, IF you
are replacing the LM723 (testing with a VOM is covered in the KBT web site -
below)

Excellent reference web site for understanding, troubleshooting and repairing
linear power supplies
http://www.kbt-dc-supplies.com/index.php

Dave Metz, WA0AUQ's  article "What Inside Your Astron?"
http://www.seits.org/features/pwrsup.htm

This is a very easy repair, and it one of the Amateur technical basics (audio,
power, antennas) that I teach new amateurs.

Astron schematic diagrams
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/astron-index.html

Greg
w9gb